Looking for something fun and productive to do as family? Learn new recipes, get creative, and make delicious food!
We paired a savory cup of Texas Taco Soup with a super cheesy grilled cheese sandwich, using easy home-made bread, and a darling bluebonnet fruit salad for a comforting lunch or dinner for the family. Checkout the recipes below.
Bluebonnet Fruit Salad
Let your imagination run as wild as a Texas wildflower! This tasty fruit salad is super fun to make with kiddos. Let your little chef become an artist with any fruit you have at home!
Here's what we used but the recipe should really be left up to your imagination!
- Slice the celery and pick some arugula to use for the stems
- Place the "stems" on a plate
- Add the berries in the shape of a wildflower
- Eat up! It's healthy, beautiful, and delicious!
Texas Taco Soup
This savory soup is sure to remind you of time spent at memaw's house. It pairs perfectly with a delicious grilled cheese sandwich or enjoy it on it's own.
- 1 oz of your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 lb H-E-B ground chuck
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 small onion
- 32 oz H-E-B beef broth
- I can H-E-B petite diced tomatoes (Mexican Style)
2⁄3 cup H-E-B Fresh Produce Salsa (mild or medium)
- 4 tbls H-E-B Fresh Guacatilla Con Crema or Guacamole
- Handful of H-E-B Restaurant Style tortilla chips
- 1 cup H-E-B Mexican Fancy Shredded cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup green onions
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- Chop celery and onion, cilantro, and green onions.
- Brown your ground beef in a dutch oven or medium size pot over medium-high heat. Those brown bits are flavor bits! Pour off fat, or keep it if you are feeling decadent. We won't judge!
- Add celery and onions to beef. Cook until translucent, stirring every few minutes.
- Pour in 1 box of H-E-B beef broth and reduce heat to medium.
- Add 2⁄3 cup H-E-B prepared salsa (we won't judge if you eat a little with chips while cooking. Who can resit?!)
- Add the taco seasoning
- Add 1 can drained H-E-B Mexican tomatoes
- Add 1 can drained H-E-B black beans
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes
- Voila it's done and ready for you to add some delicious toppings!
- Serve in bowls topped with H-E-B fresh prepared guacatilla, sour cream, cheese, sliced green onions, and chopped cilantro.
- Top with H-E-B tortilla chips. You're gonna want to scoop up the soup like a yummy taco!
Easy No-Knead Homemade Bread
This super simple homemade bread recipe is as fun to make as it is delicious! Enlist your little one to join in on this fun science experiment!
- 5 cups all purpose flour 3 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 3 cups room temp water
Let's form the dough:
- In a big bowl combine the flour, salt, and yeast. No need to sift.
- Pour water into the bowl, using a spatula spoon, mix it until well combined. No need to activate the yeast, the rest time will do it for you.
- Allow it to rise by covering the bowl with plastic wrap and letting it sit on your counter for 18 to 24 hours.
Let's get to baking:
- Preheat your oven to 450 ̊F.
- Put your cast iron dutch oven or tall sided baking dish with lid in the oven as it's pre-heating (without the bread mix inside).
- Remove the dish from the oven and take off the lid.
- Shape the dough by first flouring your hands and sprinkle a little bit of flour on top of the dough.
- Gently remove the dough from the bowl and roughly shape it into a ball. It'll be wet and sticky!
- Sprinkle some extra flour directly into the dish or pour a little olive or canola oil on the bottom to prevent sticking.
- Take that beautiful dough and drop it into the dish! (Remember the dish is hot so be careful!)
- Cover the dish with the lid and place it back in the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes with the lid on, then remove the lid and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes uncovered at 500 ̊F until golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the pot. Let cool completely before digging into it. It has to completely cool to finish baking. So hold your horses.
Cheesy Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This is the perfect time to use that delicious homemade bread! I'm assuming you know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich but for those who are just now learning how to cook during quarantine, here's how ya do it.
- 4 Slices of fresh room temp homemade bread
- 4 Slices H-E-B Sharp Thin Slice Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Slices H-E-B Monterey Jack This Slice Cheese
- 2 TBLs room temp butter
- Cut all 4 slices in half (each slice will be 1 sandwich, giving you 8 total pieces).
- Butter one side of all 8 pieces
- Heat a pan to medium-low heat and put down your 4 slices of bread.
- Top your bread with one slice of each kind of cheese.
- Cover with second slice of bread
- When cheese begins to melt and the bottom is a delicious golden brown, flip it over and begin cooking the other side. (Can you smell that? That's the smell of happiness- maybe we should make a grilled cheese candle on the Texas Humor Store)
- Take the pan off heat when you've cooked each side and the cheese is gooey yumminess.
- Let it cool a bit and then get to eatin'!
We hope you had fun making food as a family! We want to see your delicious creations. Share pictures of your meal and your tips for staying healthy, happy, and productive using #TexansHelpingTexans. Tag us and @HEB!